Congrats to our 2014 HS Graduates!
Jacob Beeson (summer grad)
Tech Tool of the Week
Check out this DoItYourself Sun Science app from Apple.
For iPhone, iPod, & iPads. Have some DoItYourself fun with this sun science app!
3 Steps to Homework Success
Here are a couple tips to help your students through what can sometimes feel like a heavy workload.
1. Discuss. Check in with your child everyday and ask what homework they have. Set a positive tone with comments like, "I loved writing in my journal when I was your age," or "How exciting that you're old enough/skilled enough to create a video to show what you know."
2. Plan. Help your young learner determine in what order she/he will complete their work. You can suggest that they get the hardest material or longest assignment done first, or as soon as they get home, and then complete the easier or shorter tasks after dinner. Or, vice versa - however they feel they can be most successful!
3. Review. Look over your child's work together and compliment on something she/he did particularly well, or in an area in which they have improved. If you see careless mistakes, have them double-check their work, but avoid telling them any answers - let them figure that our for themselves!!
Your dedication and support for your child has a lasting impact in their lives. These small steps will surely help them find success.
Current School Flyers available on:
It's that time of year! Summer is winding down and we are all getting ready for the start of a new and promising school year. The Vista Visions Academy Staff is so excited to welcome all of our returning and new students and families for this ... Continue
This text will be replaced
VVA Spring Open House
Here are some friendly guidelines and tips for healthy eating in kids, especially those who are vegetarian.
Random facts: Milk is a common allergen and high dairy consumption leads to hormonal fluctuations and increased risk of acne.
Kids need: 1,000 mg/day for 4-8 year olds; 1,300 mg for 9-18 year olds
Find it: 1 cup of yogurt (200 mg), 1 cup of cooked collard greens (270 mg), i cup of navy beans (130 mg); kale, broccoli, almonds, sesame seeds, and fortified nut or soy milks
Random facts: Deficiencies can lead to mood swings, memory problems, and changes in behavior.
Kids need: between 8 and 15 mg/day
Find it: 1 cup of beans (10 mg), two ounces of pumpkin seeds (5 mg), 1 cup of tomato sauce (5 mg); dried apricots, pumpkin seeds, quinoa, lentils, white beans, tomato paste, and blackstrap molasses
Random facts: Be careful with soy. It's linked with increased levels of estrogen and possible hormone-related cancers. Use it sparingly, mainly in its whole or fermented forms: edamame and tempeh.
Kids need: 30-50 grams daily
Find it: 1 cup kidney beans (18 grams), 2 eggs (12 grams), 1 cup tempeh (31 grams)
Random facts: It's hard to get from dietary sources. Kids should spend at least 20 minutes a day outside without sunscreen, and in winter, supplement with 400 IUs a day.
Kids need: 600 IUs/day
Find it: 1 cup shiitake mushrooms (41 IUs), 1 boiled egg (40 IUs), fortified almond milk (115 IUs)
Random facts: The most reliable plant source is nutritional yeast. A daily dose of 1-2 tablespoons will meet your kids' needs.
Kids need: between 1 mcg and 2.4 mcg
Find it: 1 egg (.6 mcg), 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (1.8 mcg)
Random facts: Tricky to find in a vegetarian diet.
Kids need: 250-1,000 mg/day
Find it: 1 ounce flax seeds (6300 mg), 1 ounce chia seeds (4900 mg)
VVA Coding Explorative Learning
What is Vista Visions Academy?
Computer Lab-Study Room Rules
The following Norms are what Vista Visions Academy expects from all students, at all times, while working in our Computer Lab-Study Room. Not following procedures may result in being sent home immediately, or entire loss of Lab use and privileges. Thank you for maintaining the high expectations of VVA!
¨ Respect yourself, others, time, and ideas
¨ Keep your area clean & pick up after yourself; take your belongings when you leave the room
¨ Listen to your peers and teacher
¨ Ask questions to clarify or when you need help
¨ Be honest
¨ Come prepared with your work, materials, & a ready brain!
¨ Be nice & polite (please, thank you, excuse me)
¨ Try your best
¨ Log off your computer when you are leaving the lab for an extended period of time
¨ No food or drink around any technologic device.
Never give up!
** Personal belongings left unattended will be taken to the Lost & Found
* Computers left logged in without a student present are at risk to be logged out of, and may result in lost student work.
QUOTE of the DAY
"Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't."
- Richard Bach, Illusions
(read in The Secret Hero, Rhonda Byrne)
School at VVA
Is an awesome place to learn
Come and join today
Joke of the Day
Dear Al G. Bra,
Stop asking us where your ex is. Don''t ask us Y.
(provided by Ryan Bernard, 8th gr.)
A Poem of School Love
IN THIS CLASSROOM,
we believe that learning is a lifelong adventure.
We believe in facing each day
with minds open to knowledge
and hearts open to love.
We believe in the freedom to wonder, to ask, to explore,
to imagine, to create.
We believe that success means doing our best,
being our best, and feeling proud of our effort.
We believe that every one of us has special talents,
and that the talents of each of us help all of us.
We believe in ourselves,
in each other,
IN THIS CLASSROOM.
Green Tip of the Day
* Eat fair trade chocolate and support small, local farmers.
* Recycle everything you can. Find a list at recyclingcenters.org
Follow us on Twitter!